Mechanism Design Reading Group
Time: Thursdays 10am - noon.
Location: We meet in Gates 498, except for:
- 10/18 : Gates 459
- 11/1 : Gates 453a
Food: You are responsible for bringing food to the meeting the week before your talk. Take the receipt to Wendy (across from Tim's office) for reimbursement.
Please read the papers before each meeting as this will make for a more interesting discussion. If you are presenting, make sure to meet with Tim early in the week to go over details of your talk and what points you want to emphasize. Also, each speaker is encouraged to propose a relevant research problem, and we will schedule an ad-hoc time on friday to meet and explore it in more depth.
Relevant General References: Schedule
- Week 1 [Oct 4] (Tim)
- Overview of reading group themes.
- Review of the VCG mechanism and various issues with it (complexity, communication, revenue, etc.).
- Introduction to various characterization questions.
- Main reference: Noam's intro AGT chapter.
- Week 2 [Oct 11]: Single-parameter problems (Shaddin/Peerapong).
- Week 3 [Oct 18]: Revenue-maximization in single-parameter problems (Bayesian). (Ian/Nathan)
- No meeting on Oct 25.
- Week 4 [Nov 1]: Combinatorial auctions: Positive Results. (Nikola/Qiqi)
- Week 5 [Nov 8]: Combinatorial auctions: negative results. (Arik/Aneesh)
- Week 6: [Nov 15]: Multi-parameter machine scheduling. (Alex/Arash)
- No meeting Nov 22.
- Week 7 [Nov 29]: Characterizations: Roberts' Theorem. (Shahar/ Mukund)
- Week 8: [Dec 6]
(Tim) More on characterizations (e.g. Saks/Yu EC 05)