Final Report for CS364B (Foundations of Sponsored Search)
Length: 8-10 pages single-spaced with reasonable margins, font
size, etc. One possible format for the report is as follows. The format we
suggest is that of a technical report (almost suitable for a
conference or workshop submission). Feel free to deviate from this
format in any way that you
think improves your report. The length of various sections will depend
on the nature of your work.
Paper Reports: Your intended audience should be one of
your classmates---a person who is extremely bright but not (yet) an
expert in the area. Make sure your descriptions are clear and as formal as
possible. Editing and rewriting often helps.
Abstract (3-6 lines)
- Statement of problem that you consider along with a list of your results.
Introduction (1/2 page)
- Motivate the problem you solve and describe why it is important
Your Results (1/2 - 1 page)
- State your results. Include all the definitions and modeling information
needed for precise the interpretation of your results.
Related Work (1-2 pages)
- Describe the main results of the papers that you read and the relationship
to your results. Also relate your results to class lectures if applicable.
Main Section (3-4 pages)
- Describe all the modeling assumptions clearly.
- Include simple motivating examples if possible.
- If there are theoretical results, include proofs.
- For data studies, include tables, plots etc.
- Interleave discussion with all of the above. Try saying things in different
Conclusion (1 page)
- Describe possible extensions to your work. These are things that you would
work on if you had another month.
- Discuss the issues that may arise in doing the extensions.
- State broad open directions.