Re:Machine Math

val@netcom.com (Dewey Val Schorre)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 93 09:11:46 -0700
From: val@netcom.com (Dewey Val Schorre)
To: qed@mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re:Machine Math
Sender: qed-owner

Back in the old days, nobody specified languages, they wrote
compilers. It had to be that way because nobody knew whether the
language constructs contained all the information needed to compile
into machine language, unless they actually had a compiler that did
it.

We are in this same situation today. We might design a RMachine MathS
language that was perfectly acceptable to mathematicians, and later
find that it lacked information needed for translation to a lower
level.

The design of the language that mathematicians will use, and its
translation to the lower level language needs to be an iterative
process.

Val