CS357: Formal Verification of Reactive Systems
Instructors: Zohar Manna and
CS357: Topics covered
Omega automata are finite-state automata over infinite words. There is
a lot of literature on this subject. Following is a sampling of the
articles that relate omega-automata to verification, or present some
kind of survey.
- Robert P. Kurshan, Computer-Aided Verification of Coordinating
Processes. The Automata-theoretic Approach. Princeton University
- W. Thomas, Automata on Infinite Objects, in Handbook of
Theoretical Computer Science, Vol B, Elsevier, pp 133-191,
- M. Vardi,
M. Daniele and F.Giunchiglia,
Improved Automata Generation for Linear Temporal Logic, to appear
- M. Vardi, P. Wolper, Reasoning about Infinite Computations,
Information and Computation, Vol 115, Number 1, pp 1-37, 1994.
- M. Vardi, Verification of Concurrent Programs: The Automata-Theoretic
Framework, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, Vol 51,
pp 79-98, 1991.
- M. Vardi, Nontraditional Applications of Automata Theory, TACS'94
, LNCS Vol 789, Springer-Verlag, pp 575-597, 1994.
- M. Vardi, An Automata-Theoretic Approach to Linear Temporal Logic,
in Logics for Concurrency. Structure versus Automata,
LNCS Vol 1043, Springer-Verlag, pp 238-266, 1996.
- G.J. de Jong, An Automata-Theoretic Approach to Temporal Logic,
CAV'91, LNCS Vol 575, Springer-Verlag, pp 477-487, 1991.
- Y. Choueka, Theories of Automata on omega-Tapes: A Simplified
Approach, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, Vol 8,
pp 117-141, 1974.
- Zohar Manna and Amir Pnueli.
Temporal Verification Diagrams.
In International Symposium on
Theoretical Aspects of Computer Software,
Lecture Notes in Computer
Science 789, Springer-Verlag, pp. 726-765, 1994.
Generalized Verification Diagrams
- Anca Browne, Zohar Manna and Henny Sipma.
Generalized Temporal Verification
Diagrams. In 15th Conference on the Foundations of Software
Technology and Theoretical Computer Science,
vol. 1026 of LNCS, pp. 484-498, Bangalore, India, December 1995.
- Anca Browne, Zohar Manna and Henny B. Sipma.
Verification Diagrams. In Second Asian Computing Science
Conf., LNCS vol. 1179, pp. 276-286, December 1996.
- Luca de Alfaro, Zohar Manna, Henny B. Sipma, and Tomás E. Uribe.
Verification of Reactive Systems.
In Proc. of TACAS'97, vol. 1217 of LNCS, pp. 334-350, Springer Verlag, 1997.
- Zohar Manna, Anca Browne, Henny B. Sipma and Tomás E. Uribe.
Visual Abstractions for Temporal Verification.
In AMAST'98, vol. 1548 of LNCS, pp. 28-41, Springer-Verlag, 1998.
- Zohar Manna and Henny Sipma.
Verification of Parameterized Systems
by Dynamic Induction. To appear in CAV'99.
- Henny B. Sipma, Tomás E. Uribe and Zohar Manna.
Deductive Model Checking.
In 8th International Conference on Computer-Aided Verification,
LNCS vol. 1102, pp. 209-219, Springer-Verlag, July 1996.
- Henny B. Sipma,
Deductive Model Checking, Chapter 6 in
Diagram-based Verification of Discrete, Real-time and Hybrid
Systems, PhD thesis, Feb 1999.
- Abstract Interpretation:
- Use of abstract interpretation in the verification of reactive
- Tomás E. Uribe,
Verification of Reactive Systems, PhD Thesis, Computer Science
Department, Stanford University, December 1998.
- Michael A. Colón and Tomás E. Uribe.
Generating Finite-State Abstractions of Reactive Systems Using Decision
Procedures. In International Conference on Computer-Aided
Verification, CAV'98, pp. 293-304, vol. 1427 of LNCS,
Springer-Verlag, June/July 1998.
Version inPDF (Acrobat).
Nikolaj Bjørner, I. Anca Browne and Zohar Manna.
Automatic Generation of
Invariants and Intermediate Assertions.
Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 173(1), pp. 49-87,
Original version appeared in
1st International Conference on Principles and Practice of
Constraint Programming, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 976,
Cassis, France, pp. 589-623,
Clocked Transition Systems
- R. Alur and D.L. Dill.
A theory of timed automata.
Theoretical Computer Science 126:183-235, 1994
(preliminary versions appeared in Proc. 17th ICALP, LNCS 443, 1990, and Real Time: Theory in Practice, LNCS 600, 1991).
Verification and nonZenoness
Modular transition systems