Re: a multilingual approach

guttman@linus.mitre.org
To: dam@ai.mit.edu (David McAllester)
Cc: qed@mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re: a multilingual approach
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 93 17:10:38 -0400
From: guttman@linus.mitre.org
Sender: qed-owner
>  From: dam@ai.mit.edu (David McAllester)
>  Subject: a multilingual approach

    [paragraph deleted]

>  Of course I can see no objection to collecting libraries of first
>  order validities, I am just not sure how to use them.  Perhaps the
>  IMPS notion of a "little theory" is relevant here.  A little theory is
>  a signature, a set of axioms, and a set of consequences.  I probably
>  could translate any IMPS theory directly into a set of Ontic theorems.

I think one of the advantages of the little theories version of the
axiomatic method is this:  The little theory is a natural unit for
interchanging results.  By organizing mathematics into a network of
relatively fine theories, it lets us see exactly what assumptions we
must discharge to justify using a particular group of theorems in a
different framework.

	Josh