Re: Cold water

dts@dcs.ed.ac.uk
From: dts@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 12:29:37 BST
To: qed@mcs.anl.gov
Subject: Re: Cold water
Sender: qed-owner
Although the goals of QED seem exciting and worthy, I find myself agreeing
with Konrad Slind to the extent that I believe the potential benefit of
developing a repository of verified software (and/or hardware) components,
together with their proofs, is far more obvious than that of developing
a body of formally checked mathematics.  From a technical point of view,
this also seems to be a more achievable goal.  I don't mean to suggest that
QED is a bad idea; I just wish that the same enthusiasm could be generated
for doing the same thing with software/hardware.

Don Sannella