Tencent Chair of Computer Science
| ||For chair-related issues ...||... for everything else
|office||276 Gates||276 Gates
|| Mary Jane Swenson
| Sue George
Alex Aiken is the Alcatel-Lucent Professor and the current Tencent Chair of the Computer Science Department at Stanford.
Alex received his Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Music
from Bowling Green State University
in 1983 and his Ph.D. from Cornell
University in 1988. Alex was a Research Staff Member at the IBM
Almaden Research Center (1988-1993) and a Professor in the EECS department at UC Berkeley (1993-2003) before joining the Stanford faculty in 2003. His research interest is in areas related to programming languages.
He is an ACM Fellow, a recipient of Phi Beta Kappa's Teaching Award, and a former National Young Investigator.
Alex is married to Jennifer
Widom. Jennifer and Alex have a son Tim
and a daughter Emily.
Here are some photos from the family's travels.
- 8/2018 Lux, a system for high performance graph processing, is now available. Lux is built on top of Legion.
- 7/2018 I gave the commencement speech at CS graduation during the time I was department chair (well, I did miss one year ...). I've received requests for links to those speeches, so here they are:
I also maintain a page of past research projects and a
set of pages internal to current projects.
- Legion is a programming system for heterogenous, parallel machines with complex memory hierarchies.
- STOKE is a stochastic optimizer and associated verification techniques for X86 binaries
- In 2017 I organized the annual PSAAP II WEST workshop
- Advice for Program Chairs distills my experience (and things I've learned from many other people) as a program chair for POPL and PLDI.
- Here is my program chair's report for PLDI'10. Unfortunatley the pdf can't correctly display some things in the report, so here is the original Power Point as well.
- I delivered a memorial for John Backus at PLDI'07.
- My family took most of the '07-'08 academic year off to travel the world. Those with too much time on their hands can check out the trip's web page.
- Berkeley Churchill
- Zhihao Jia
- Jason Koenig
- Wonchan Lee
- Manolis Papadakis
- Todd Warszawski